but back to workshop blog -- we collaged papers and other things on to a support of illustration board, then gessoed the surface making everything white. On the white gessoed surface we then used watercolors to finish our designs, some abstract, and some realistic. I have lots of new starts and even more ideas of how to finish and/or make more collages. Now if i could just adhere papers to the surfaces as fast as i can dream up ideas.
I am working on some totally new pieces and am reworking an old one. The old one is a rhino that i did in watercolor and now am collaging over the watercolor, changing my previous rhino from the kind with the really long horns to the variety that appears to be amored.....the old rhino had to loose the long horns in the process as the rhinos with the armor have a single rather short fat horn and not the long variety.
Here is his "before" picture.............
I also did not put any gesso on the bottom section before i took the pic to make it easier for you to see the contrast between that and the rhino.
After I took the picture, I did gesso over the watercolor at the bottom.
Since the last pic, I gessoed the lower "ground" portion of the painting. then added some paint -- I was not pleased with that, so I collaged more paper with a stringy texture in it over the painted gesso. I also added lots of layers of color to the rhino itself. There is more work to be done on the entire painting, but he is coming along and I am pleased with its progress to this point.